Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Fish Tacos


I used orange roughy as the fish filler. Next time I am going to use tilapia, I thought it was somewhat too "fishy", plus it made my whole house stink.
  • 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1/4 small red cabbage, thinly shredded (about 2 1/2 cups)
  • 4 scallions, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
  • 1 jalapeno chile, halved lengthwise, one half minced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 pound tilapia fillets, (or other firm white fish), cut into 16 equal strips
  • 8 flour tortillas (6-inch)
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
  1. In a large bowl, combine sour cream and lime juice; season with salt and pepper. Transfer half the mixture to another container; set aside for serving. Toss cabbage, scallions, and minced jalapeño with remaining sour-cream mixture. Season again with salt and pepper.
  2. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil and remaining jalapeño half over medium-high heat; swirl to coat bottom of pan. Season fish on both sides with salt and pepper. In two batches (starting with larger pieces), cook fish until golden brown on all sides, 5 to 6 minutes. Discard jalapeño.
  3. Meanwhile, warm tortillas according to package instructions.
  4. To make tacos, fill tortillas with slaw, fish, and fresh cilantro leaves. Drizzle with reserved sour-cream mixture. Serve immediately.

Orange-Avocado Salsa


I made this salsa and placed the orange roughy (salmon would be good too) on top. It was delightfully sweet.
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 2 large navel oranges
  • 1/2 firm, ripe avocado, pitted and diced
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
  1. In a medium bowl, whisk lime juice and honey until combined. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
  2. Slice off both ends of each orange. Following the curve of the fruit, slice away peel and white pith. Cut oranges into quarters lengthwise; slice sections crosswise into 1/4-inch thick pieces. Transfer to bowl along with onion and avocado; toss gently to coat with dressing.

13 comments:

Daisy said...

I came across your blog one day and LOVE IT! I am definitely going to have to try this recipe. All of them look divine and make my mouth water at the thought. Thanks for sharing! Keep the recipes coming!

La Carter said...

Where do you find the time? **Sigh**

I love this blog and my family is eating healthier already! Great recipes and ideas. I appriciate you taking the time to post them!

pflower10 said...

OHHH YUM!!!! Would you recommend the whole wheat tortilla's with the fish tacos?

M-Ware said...

tried the chili with cornbread on top. what a delicious combination. your recipes are refreshing.

nie nie said...

daisy, thank you dear!
la carter, i am so happy to post these recipes! best wishes to healthy eating
pf-1o, i actually did in fact have mine whole wheat, i like them the best, but mr n. wanted the uncooked kind from costco...also a lovely lil treat...no bad oils in those puppies
m-ware, i am so glad that recipe worked for you!

kisses!

Sara said...

um. I'm pretty sure I will be making a cook book with all of these recipies. They are amazing. You are the kind of mommy/woman that I believe is hard to come by these days -so please keep inspiring all of us! :)

Elisa said...

I linked to you from Rachel and Ryan. Love your blog...Love LOVE that you posted recipes! I am not a vegetarian but I don't enjoy eating mammals (just fish and chicken except for gyros, and beef jerky).

Keep em' comin'.

Garrett, Kellie, and Amaya said...

Its like 9am and I give anything for a fish taco thanks to this post and maybe the fact that I am 6 m preggo. You are brilliant Stephanie!

Elizabeth said...

I love all your recipes. I have already made several. I putting these on the menu for the weekend. So glad you share!

j+s said...

steph..
i love fish tacos. so i am real excited to try these ones out. i am also very excited to try out all your recipes. it is nice to have ones that are tried and true. i have such a hard time finding healthy recipes...
p.s. i have an amazing little secret sauce for fish tacos if you want to try... somehow my mom got her paws on it. it is from this little taqueria in slc. mmm mmm.

littlemama said...

We had these for dinner last night. It made for 5 happy tummies! Thanks for the recipes, and the pictures that make them even more enticing!

Alisha said...

WOW! I love these:) I added chopped shrimp on top since it was what I had on hand (stir fried it in a bit of olive oil, lemon juice, and cumin). It's excellent for summer....light and yummy! Thanks for the recipe. I love your site!

Lindsey said...

Hey Nie! I just made these tacos for dinner tonight and they were a hit! Thank you!

XOXO