Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Grilled Portobello Mushrooms and Zucchini tacos


Serves 4

  • 5 medium portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed, sliced 1/2 inch thick
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 4 medium zucchini, cut into 2-by-1/2-inch sticks
  • 1 medium red onion, halved and sliced 1/4 inch thick
  • 12 (4 1/2-inch) corn tortillas
  • 6 ounces (1 1/2 Cups) Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
  • 1/2 cup fresh salsa

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss mushrooms with 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 tablespoon oil, and 1/4 cup water; season with salt and pepper. On another rimmed baking sheet, toss zucchini and onion with remaining teaspoon oregano and tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper.
  2. Place both sheets in oven. Roast, tossing occasionally, until vegetables are browned and fork-tender, 25 to 30 minutes (zucchini may cook faster than mushrooms).
  3. Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium-high heat, warm tortillas according to package instructions (they should be lightly browned but still soft).Wrap loosely in a clean kitchen towel to keep warm.
  4. To serve, fill each tortilla with mushrooms, vegetable mixture, shredded cheese, and salsa.

5 comments:

Mike said...

Grilled portobello mushroom and zucchini tacos (I always called them fajitas what with grilling the onions too) are probably one of my favorite vegetarian meals. I usually keep them from being vegan and add some more protein by adding some cottage cheese- with this meal I actually like the cottage cheese better than the shredded monterey jack, cheddar or queso fresco though I prefer any of those on regular tacos.

nie nie said...

hmmm...great idea. queso fresco is so yum! I am going to try that next. i dont really like cottage cheese- what kind do you use?

Mike said...

I really like whole wheat tortillas with this- they seem to match the vegetables and the cottage cheese really well- but I don't really like whole wheat tortillas with most other stuff.

As for the cottage cheese, sometimes I eat low fat cottage cheese, sometimes the full fat. I like the low fat ok in other things (omelets, veggie fajitas, etc.) but I really don't like the low fat by itself. I usually drain the low fat and just use the curds when using it in things, but I don't drain the full fat when eating it by itself.

My typical brand is highland dairy- they are based out of Oklahoma and don't know if it's available elsewhere. The thing that annoys me with Highland is I usually end up throwing out a bit since it doesn't have as many preservatives and thus has a pretty short shelf life. If I ate it everyday it wouldn't be a big deal but I get tired of having it that often.
I also sometimes get a cottage cheese that is more of a cream and has no curds in it from one of the farmers in the Oklahoma food co-op. It can be a pretty good replacement for queso fresco- I don't know if health food stores or farmers markets there might have the same type of thing.

Cottage cheese isn't my favorite thing- but I really do like it with zucchini. My big reason for eating it is it's pretty protein packed for the amount of fat compared to other cheeses.

Oh, I also like cottage cheese as a side when I'm having salmon where I don't use a sweet glaze or seasonings. It really matches with the savory and salty and the flavors of the salmon- but it's not very good with sweeter flavorings.

OK, I just rambled forever about cottage cheese- I'm done now, I promise.

nie nie said...

i am trying it with salmon, sounds really good. thanks, i like talking about cottage cheese ;)

disa said...

h漫,成人漫畫,免費A片,色情網站,色情遊戲,情色文學,麗的色遊戲,色情,色情影片,同志色教館,色色網,色遊戲,自拍,本土自拍,kk俱樂部,後宮電影院,後宮電影,85cc免費影城,85cc免費影片,免費影片,免費小遊戲,免費遊戲,小遊戲,遊戲,好玩遊戲,好玩遊戲區,A片,情趣用品,遊戲區,史萊姆好玩遊戲,史萊姆,遊戲基地,線上遊戲,色情遊戲,遊戲口袋,我的遊戲口袋,小遊戲區,手機遊戲,貼圖,A片下載,成人影城,愛情公寓,情色貼圖,情色,色情網站,色情遊戲,色情小說,情色文學,色情,aio交友愛情館,色情影片,臺灣情色網,寄情築園小遊戲,情色論壇,嘟嘟情人色網,情色視訊,愛情小說,言情小說,一葉情貼圖片區,情趣用品,情趣,色情漫畫,情色網,情色a片,情色遊戲,85cc成人片,嘟嘟成人網,成人網站,18成人,成人影片,成人交友網,成人貼圖,成人圖片區,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人光碟,微風成人區,免費成人影片