Friday, June 22, 2007

Herbed Whole Wheat pasta with lemon butter


This is a great dinner that can be made in under 20 minutes. So if you are like me and Mr. Nielson who reserve Friday nights as date night, this meal will be a great one to make in advance for the babysitter to feed the kids.
Instead of leaving the local pizza joint's number for your babysitter, leave her this meal and save that extra $15 bucks on dessert with your lover.
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1/2 pound whole wheat pasta
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, tarragon, and chives
  • crumbled feta
  1. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente according to package instructions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water. Return pasta to pot.
  2. Stir in butter, lemon zest, juice, and herbs; season with salt and pepper. Add some of the reserved pasta water to adjust consistency, if needed. Top with crumbled feta.

9 comments:

carblemarble said...

I am definately making this one.

La Yen said...

Thank heavens, NieNie, because I was just thinking "Great-nothing for dinner but our own poo..." Now we can eat this!

Keli said...

I would imagine this is better than poo.

I have to ask, how in the world can I get my kids to start eating these yummy, healthy recipes? I'm interested in Vegetarian cooking, but we all HATE tomatoes and mushrooms. They seem to make up a large portion of vege-ism. Do your kids put up a fight about eating these foods, and what are some tips for parents like me to get my kids to transition over from meat and cheese?

Thanks, and I love your blog(s).

Emily said...

Nie! I was in stitches over your "Jimmie" post...Funny!
Thanks goodness for this blog to save us all from eating yucky things like poo.

Steph said...

Hi! I found your blog through Just Recipes and wanted to let you know that I love your stuff! I made the black bean chili, whole wheat tortillas and the cornbread tonight, it was DELICIOUS! It's definitely something we'll be having around here more often, even my 18 month old enjoyed it! I'm always looking for more Vegetarian meals, thanks so much! I have blogs at Frosted Garden
and Little Boxes on the Hillside!

-a fellow Stephanie :)

nie nie said...

welcome steph!
steph or stephanie? welcome to my blog...lets swap recipes!

nie nie said...

keli,
i sneak in my vegetables sometimes...i need to do a post on this...thanks for the idea, and stay tuned!

Steph said...

Either, Steph is fine with me. It's a bit friendlier! I've already made two dishes of yours and they were both great! I need to be more diligent about actually posting my recipes, I'm terrible about that! So excited to find you though!

-steph:)

jenn said...

I made this tonight- it turned out wonderful! I was so glad for such a healthy and simple recipe, much thanks!