Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Mexican Lasagna


If you like to make casserole type dishes, this one is for you. Mr. Nielson really liked it, and wanted me to make a note of it for future dinners.

1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
4 scallions, coarsely chopped
Coarse salt and ground pepper
10 ounces fresh baby spinach
Nonstick cooking spray
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1 (15.5 ounces) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup prepared salsa (mild or medium)
8 ounces pepper Jack cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
Directions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a food processor, combine cilantro, scallions, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper with as much spinach as will fit; pulse, adding remaining spinach in batches, until coarsely chopped.
Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Lay 4 tortillas in bottom of dish (they will overlap slightly). Layer with half of beans, salsa, spinach mixture, and cheese; repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with cheese and pressing in gently.
Cover dish with foil; place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes; remove foil, and continue baking until golden, 15 to 20 minutes more. Cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Coming soon: oatmeal and whole wheat bread

10 comments:

Mike said...

I love Mexican lasagna- but I've never tried a vegetarian version- but I think it would still be really good, it sounds great with spinach.

Thanks for the recommendation/recipe.

carblemarble said...

Oh, this sounds delish!

emilyanne said...

Mmmm! Nie, I heart this blog -- the recipes and the fact that I can leave a comment for you. Wahoo for it all!

Jourdan Johanna said...

yum!I'm trying this tonight.

And... I can't wait for the bread.

Leisha said...

This sounds incredibly good!

littlemama said...

Oh, this sounds perfect! Our spinach is just about ready to come out of the garden, and this is what I'm making!
Thanks!

mr.nielson said...

yum hon

KatieJ said...

This sounds really good- thank you for sharing! My mom used to make a vegetarian Mexican lasagna but she doesn't remember it or know where the recipe is!

Erika Sullivan said...

I LOVE this recipe. I have made it many times, and even my non-vegetarian husband loves it. Perfect!

Felicia said...

I added some cottage cheese and loved it! Thanks so much for this recipe!