Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Whole-wheat pasta mixed with arugula, sauteed garlic, onions and tomatoes


  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced (4 cups)
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 12 ounces plum tomatoes, cored and diced (about 2 cups)
  • 3/4 cup lentils, picked over and rinsed
  • 12 ounces whole wheat pasta
  • 1 bunch (8 ounces) arugula, stemmed and coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving (optional)

Directions

  1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cover, and cook until onions wilt, about 20 minutes. Uncover; raise heat to medium. Cook, stirring often, until onions are dark brown, 20 to 25 minutes more.
  2. Add 1/4 cup water; stir to loosen any browned bits from pan. Stir in tomatoes; remove from heat.
  3. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, cover lentils with water by 1 inch. Bring to a simmer. Cover; cook until lentils are tender but still holding their shape, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain; stir into onion mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
  4. Cook pasta in a pot of salted water until al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta water; drain pasta, and return to pot.
  5. Add lentil mixture, arugula, cheese, and reserved pasta water; toss. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with more cheese, if desired.

4 comments:

Sara said...

This is my kind of dish. MMMMMMMMM.

Stephanie said...

I am tired of not feeling well. So I decided that I would begin adding healthy meatless dishes to my menu. Today we tried this yummy dish. I did add three cloves of garlic to the onion in stage 2.
This dish was well received by even my fussiest eater. I know you are currently recovering in the hospital. I pray for the day you and Christian are back on your feet and know how many lives you have touched.

Em said...

I made this tonight and it was very tasty. I did add some garlic and also some crushed red pepper flakes for a little heat and to balance the sweet flavor of the onions. Thanks for sharing!

Becca Jane said...

Ever since I tried (and LOVED) this recipe, I have been adding lentils to EVERY pasta dish I make. Such a great little trick to pack in extra nutrients for just pennies! Thank you Nie! Much Love!!!