Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Whole wheat zucchini muffins

From summers early bounty of zucchini's to your kitchen, this will defiantly make your house smell good. I needed that since last nights fish was still permeating the house. blah!

This recipe is for bread, but my children think cupcakes are more exciting, just check the oven frequently as cupcakes cook shorter. I also made a cream cheese frosting and added a dollop on top.
  • 1 large zucchini
  • 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 2/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan with cooking spray, and set aside. Grate zucchini on the large holes of a box grater (to yield 1 3/4 cups); set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together sugars, oil, vanilla, and eggs.
  2. Into a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add flour mixture to egg mixture, and stir to combine well. Stir in grated zucchini.
  3. Pour batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes; invert onto a wire rack, then reinvert, top side up. Cool completely before slicing.
Cream Cheese Frosting
  • 1 1/2 pounds unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 2 pounds cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1 pound confectioners' sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  1. Place butter and cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium-high until fluffy. Reduce speed; add confectioners' sugar and vanilla, beat until well combined.

10 comments:

Daisy said...

NieNie - Once again I'm your first poster in the a.m. :) It's part of my morning routine now to check your blog. LOVE IT! I made the fish tacos and orange/avocado salsa last night - they were to die for! Absolutely perfect summer dinner. And...well guess I'm going to have to go garden hunting for a zucchini to take away the fish stench. :) Thanks again for the wonderful recipes!

Daisy said...

P.S. The avocado/orange salsa was perfect - the mix of the lime, honey, salt, pepper with the citrus orange flavor mixed perfect with the fish and cabbage.

nie nie said...

daisy,
i love good results! keep it up! sorry to stink your house up! yikes

Lindsey said...

These look so good. I would eat anything (even if it wasn't good) with cream cheese frosting on it.

Michelle said...

found your blog through your sister. I love your idea of posting good food you make, I have some friends that would love your blog- hope you don't mind me passing it on. oh ya- Devon Call's wife here!

nie nie said...

michelle,

hello, and welcome!

Abbey said...

Made the bread today- and wow! It is great. Thanks. We skipped on the frosting because my youngins would end up just licking the tops of each slice. Keep the good food coming!

KatieJ said...

Oh I can't wait to try these too- Thanks again for doing this blog- I love it! I was dying laughing reading about Jimmy on your other blog. We have an English Pointer that has that same dietary habit.

carole said...

Just ran across your blog from another link. We could be cooking twins, separated at birth (though my birth was obviously several years before yours. Anyway, your recipes really resonate with me. Thanks for sharing.

About smelly fish smells permeating your house: We too love fish. Many times it gets grilled outside so that helps. Something else we do quite often is cook fish in an electric skillet outside. Voilá - no fish smell in the house!

e. said...

I've made this bread a couple times and it is the best zucchini loaf I've ever had! NieNie your recipes never fail to delight, inspire, and fatten me. Thank you sweet lady!