Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Tofu stir-fry.

This is a delicious dinner to make.
Be sure to serve over brown rice.
Mr. Nielson likes when I add 3 tablespoons of peanut butter
(to the cornstarch mixture.)
Or not.
Either way, this is goood.


1 pound firm tofu
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 small onions, cut into wedges
9 ounces mushrooms, quartered
1 large red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, cut into 1-inch squares
1 bunch bok choy cut into small strips, stem and green pieces separated
1/4 pound snow peas, trimmed
5 paper-thin slices fresh ginger
1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 teaspoons cold water
lime wedges, for serving

1. Cut and drain tofu for 20 minutes
2. Transfer tofu to a shallow dish in a bowl, whisk together soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil with 1 tablespoon water. Pour over tofu. Marinate 5 minutes (save marinade)
3. Heat canola oil, cook tofu until golden
4. Stirring occasionally, cook onions in skillet over high until browned, add mushrooms for 2 mins, add red peppers, and bok choy stems; cook 3 minutes. Add peas, and ginger; cook 1 minute. Add marinade, cornstarch mixture, bok choy greens, and tofu. Cook until heated through. Season with soy sauce as desired. Serve with limes and over brown rice.

8 comments:

crazydaisy said...

Mmmmm. I was never really sure what to do with Tofu!

Leisha said...

Okay...I'm working up to tofu. I'm not sure I'm there yet. Any tips on how to buy it...what to look for, what's good, etc.?

nie nie said...

Leisha,
a good way to work up to tofu is to buy soft (i buy mine at trader joes..$.99 and prety good quality) and add it into smoothies.
i usually buy extra firm for grilling/sauting. (how do you spell that one?)
when cutting tofu, cut in small, think slices that way it wont overwhlem you the first time you taste it.
give it some time and let it marinade before eating...

its good, i promise

Leisha said...

Good tips, I'm getting there...baby steps!

Sam said...

Hi Stephanie,

I had this in Bangkok. It was amazing the spices tingle the tongue. Needed to wash it down with a Singha beer

Lauren said...

I just made a variation of this tonight...it was delicious! Thank you!

Heather said...

I started making this last year, and it is part of my "regular rotation" now. My husband loves it, and I tend to add whatever fresh veggies we have on hand. We are not vegetarian, but we are trying to do one or two "veggie" nights per week now. I rely on CuisineNie quite a bit when I need a new idea.

Courtney said...

I know this post is old, but I have it bookmarked. I make this dish almost weekly, we love it so much!