Friday, July 20, 2007

Penne with Tuna and Red onion

This is a light, fresh meal with minimal
cooking and less prep work.
But the "catch"? You have to like tuna.



Serves 6

  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 pound penne ( I used whole wheat) or other short tubular pasta
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 large red onion, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup half-and-half
  • 2 (6 ounces each) good quality tuna packed in oil, drained
  • 3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 tablespoons capers, drained
  1. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente, according to package instructions; drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water. Return pasta to pot.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until onion is very tender and starting to brown, about 8 minutes. Add half-and-half; raise heat to high, and boil 2 minutes.
  3. Pour mixture over pasta. Add tuna, parsley, capers, and reserved pasta water; toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.

11 comments:

pflower10 said...

Does the tuna have to be packed in oil? and what brands do you condsider good quality? How can you tell the difference?

nie nie said...

when it is packed in oil, the tuna's flavor is much more flavorfull...the tuna is more moist and soft. i buy good tuna at whole foods/trader joes (both are not in ut...sadly)

lea ann said...

you've answered a question I've had for a few years. When I worked in SF, there was a restaurant near the office where I lunched three times a week - mostly because i loved their tuna salad. when I left that job I asked for the recipe of their tuna pasta salad and they rattled off something that sounded like the recipe you listed.

Now I have it in print. a million thank you's to you for solving that "mystery" of mine :)

Jordan said...

This was surprisingly good, even my professed tuna-loathing hubs liked!!! I even bought a $5 bottle of tuna at Trader Joe's to try out this dish (no longer a possibility with my strict budget).

Tiffany said...

Thank you thank you for posting this. I have had this weird, kind of embarrassing love of tuna casserole lately and this recipe lets me make something as easy as tuna casserole, but not have to feel slightly trashy about our dinner. We made this for guests on the 1st try and it was lovely. Thanks!

Rachel said...

why do you use reserved pasta water instead of just regular water?

and what are capers?

jack, lucy and finn said...

what is with the tasty looking bread on top?

erin said...

can't wait to try this tonight!

The Chrissyiest Chrissy said...

I thought you cooked without any meat?

pret-a-party said...

thank you for this post and i'm so happy you're posting again on cuisine nie! i made this tonight and it was delish! can't wait for more recipes from you - they're the best!!

EmJo said...

I love this recipe!! I make it at least twice a month, and my husband--not a tuna fan--is SO sick of it, but I cook what I like. :P

I find the capers make a HUGE difference in taste, and don't even try to use albacore for this...my husband tried it and it was awful. I use milk instead of half-and-half, and I keep the reserved pasta water in the fridge to add to the pasta before microwaving it (keeps it from getting dry).

Again, *love* it! Thanks again!