Friday, July 27, 2007

Plum upside down cake

I had plums smiling at me in the kitchen, and a sweet-tooth like crazy.
Here is what I came up with.


  • 9 tablespoons (1 stick, plus 1 tablespoon) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 4 red plums, (about 1 pound), halved and pitted, each cut into 12 wedges
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin-pie spice
  • 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
  • Whipped cream, (optional)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place 3 tablespoons butter in an 8-inch round cake pan; melt in preheating oven, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle melted butter with 1/2 cup brown sugar. Arrange overlapping plum wedges in a circle around edge of pan; repeat in center, covering bottom of pan. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, beat together remaining 6 tablespoons butter, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, and egg. Beat in sour cream until blended. Set aside.
  3. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, salt, pumpkin-pie spice, and walnuts. Stir flour mixture into sour-cream mixture until just combined (batter will be thick).
  4. Spread batter evenly over plums. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Run a knife around edge of pan; invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm or at room temperature, with whipped cream if desired.

9 comments:

Mandee said...

sounds delicious! and that picture of the girl in the sunglasses is awesome!

Leisha said...

My husband's favorite fruit is the plum, so this will be great to try! I don't think in 10 years of marriage that I've ever made him anything with plums. (p.s. loved the beach photos...my daughter has the same cherry bathing suit!)

nie nie said...

target

Leisha said...

right on.

Jennifer B. said...

I can't believe you and I were on the same beach on the same weekend! Glad you had fun.

Sam said...

Hi Stephanie,

This looks yummy. Must try it out.

Anonymous said...

I tried this and it made my kids sick. Put up something that won't hurt my family.

Anonymous said...

I also made this, and it made my family sick too. Did I do something wrong, or did you? I followed the recipe exactly, I don't know...

vanessa505 said...

Hi there, I tried this with peaches (for the lack of plums) and canned milk instead of sour cream, it was absolutely DELICIOUS. Thanks so much!!!