Thursday, January 28, 2010

Cupcakes...yum!

Thanks to Kate, you can make these delicious cupcakes too!

Lime Coconut Cupcakes with White Chocolate Frosting
{adapted from Food Network}

Makes a whole lot.

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature

1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

1 1/2 tsp grated key lime zest
1 1/2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup loosely packed sweetened coconut flakes (3.5 ounces)

The Frosting:

5 ounces good quality white chocolate, chopped into small chucks
1/2 cup
(1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature

3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted

Pinch salt
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp lime juice (bottled or freshly squeezed)
1/4 cup sour cream Fresh lime slices, for garnish

*
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Add the vanilla extract, key lime zest and juice and mix well. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In 5 parts total, alternately add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the batter, beginning and ending with the dry. Mix until just combined. Fold the coconut into the cupcake batter.
Line a muffin pan with paper liners and fill each liner almost to the top with batter. A spring loaded 1/4 cup ice cream scoop works great for this and ensures the cupcakes are all the same size. Bake for 25 minutes or until the tops begin to brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then transfer cupcakes to a baking rack to cool completely. While the cupcakes are cooling you can make the frosting. In a small heat proof bowl set over a pot of simmering water, carefully and slowly melt the white chocolate. Remove from heat and let cool until just slightly warm. Meanwhile, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter until light and fluffy. With the mixer on low, gradually add the powdered sugar until well combined. Add the salt, vanilla extract, key lime juice, and sour cream and mix until very smooth. Add the melted white chocolate and mix just until incorporated. Frost the cupcakes and garnish with a bit of grated key lime zest. * If you don't want to place fresh lime slices atop, you can always candy your lime slices so they are more edible. Google "candy limes" to find the how-to.

37 comments:

The Pitter Patter Boutique said...

Yum! Yum! Yum! Those sound (and look) delicious.

Here's a recipe for you, Neiman Marcus Cookies. And the story behind the recipe. :)

http://thepitterpatterboutique.blogspot.com/2010/01/yummy-one-neiman-marcus-cookies.html

Estela @ Weekly Bite said...

I LOVE the Lime & Coconut Combo!

Nabi said...

Yummy, they look delicious :-)

Thanks for sharing!

SarahBara said...

I can't wait to try these! They look like summer to me....thanks!

Sandra said...

Mmmmm.... these look scrumptiously delightful! Can't wait to try 'em...

Jessy and Kurt Antonino!!!! said...

I will try to do this. mmmmm I am hungry now. :)

e. said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. these look delicious yumyumyum. i'll have to make these soon! :)

vanessa said...

Nummy Nummy Steph!
We love you :)
-Vanessa

Camille said...

Such a great idea you have of sharing others' recipes! These look great!

the Lola Letters said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
the Lola Letters said...

Oh my goodness, these look divine!!! I will be making these with my little guy on Saturday morning for sure!

Speaking of cupcakes, a friend and I finally went to the Sweet Tooth Fairy and ordered up a VaNIElla Squared in honor of you! (and it didn't disappoint)You can see it here:

http://thelolaletters.blogspot.com/2010/01/daily-photo-11210.html

You and the Sweet Tooth Fairy sure know your cupcakes...

Practically Perfect In Every Way said...

my 4yr old daughter just saw the kitchen aid on your blog header and want to know it's name, she suggested Steve. I don't know where she got that since we never name our appliances BOY NAMEs!

our green kitchen aid is named Elphaba, Elphie for short.

Natasha said...

These sound (and look) divine! Thanks for the recipe.

Hope Chella said...

I want one! Yummy!!!!! :)

Lee said...

These will be great for a summer treat! Thanks!

Christine said...

I have extra frosting in the fridge from these (I made some last week), and I was just going to make some more...
When I made them last week, I had run out of flour (? I know, crazy!), so I used cake flour instead (the amount adjusted a little for the substitution), and they were divine... a more delicate crumb!

Cathi said...

Hmmm...I think I want one of these cupcakes...now.
Thinking of you always Stephanie, especially at this time.
Hugs!!

Melissa said...

These sound yummy! My little girls and I are doing a cupcake project this year: 50 recipes in 52 weeks from The Cupcake Deck. I got a little inspired watching Julie and Julia, and our project was born.

Kinderfalls Primitives said...

They sound delicious. xx

Kristin said...

How lovely! And I usually don't liek cupckaes but the look of them for a party? So great. Stephanie, I read your blog daily and you inspire me! Love you!

http://sherunslikeagirl.blogspot.com

Karine said...

these are so exotic! And they look delicious too. Thanks for sharing :)

Natalie said...

Dang, these look dangerous!! Must make!

WhiteWhispers2u said...

Oh these look Simply Amazing.Great recipe thanks!

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

Okey dokey...those are RIGHT up my alley!

Carrie said...

I made these for my ward potluck on Sunday and they were AMAZING! Only thing I did different was sub cake flour for the A.P. and added an extra 2 TBS of it to accommodate my 7000 feet above sea level. Suuuuuuch gooooood cuuuuuuupcakes.

Cedar Roots said...

I made these for my mom's birthday dessert, everyone loved them! Perfect combo:lime and coconut. Thanks!

Chelsie said...

I just have to make these. Ever since I read this post (right after it was written) I can't get homemade cupcakes off my mind! I am normally scared of all homemade cake as I have never eaten one I liked. But seriously, I am just SURE I will like these, and they are on my mind night and day!!! To be continued... After I get all of the ingredients, of course.

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Diane said...

I have these in the oven right now and they smell delicious. I've been waiting for Lent to try them so I could bring them to Fish Fry. I was skeptical about the yield being:Makes a lot and now I wish I had trusted my instincts and doubled the recipe. It only makes 18. I think if a box mix makes 24 then "a lot" would be more than 24.

I'll have to wait to taste one before I make a second batch but it smells delicious.

Chelsie said...

I made them! And they were as good as I hoped. Just a little frosting goes a LONG way. They were so much better the next day. And the next. I love cupcakes. ((sigh)). I posted about it here--

http://eatingandhowtoeat.blogspot.com/2010/02/silly-me.html

Julie said...

Oh wow and yum! Definitely a keeper :)

Brian and Kendra said...

Yum!My mom and I made these and they were SO good! I want some right now!! :)

Adam and Leticia said...

I tried these a few weeks ago and they were so delicious! Light and fluffy, combined with the zing of lime was amazing. Thanks for sharing!

Stina said...

Well, Nie, you saved the day on this one! My brother-in-law is getting married and each of the girls is supposed to bring a batch of cupcakes for the reception. I'm not much of a cake decorator, but these were perfect! I did a trial batch today and will forever keep this in my recipe book when trying to impress. You are the best!

kathleen said...

absolutely wonderful! we cannot stop eating these!

Si said...

Just started reading your blog. Love it. Showed your Utube video to my boys for fam night. Inspirational. You cook too?! These look yummy. I'm trying this recipe SOON. Have a great day. hugs.

Annie said...

Just made these last night, and they were so delicious!!!