Monday, June 7, 2010
The first time I made this about a year ago I still remember my girls screaming, "THE PUMPKIN IS TURNING INTO SPAGHETTI NOODLES!" You have to try it just for that fact, it is pretty fun to watch pasta noodles come out of a squash.
Spaghetti Squash Confetti
• Extra virgin olive oil
• Salt and pepper
• 1 whole spaghetti squash
• 3 fresh tomatoes
• 2 vegetables of your choice
• Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
• Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
• Slice your spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds and season with olive oil, salt and pepper on all sides. Place the squash flesh side down on cooking tray with foil covering all of the exposed skin. Roast for 45 minutes tp 1 hour or until tender.
• Meanwhile, saute two of your favorite chopped vegetables with oil, salt and pepper. I like to use zucchini and yellow squash but you can use whatever you have on hand.
• When the spaghetti squash is done simply pull your fork through the flesh and it will come out like spaghetti noodles!
• Combine the “noodles” and sauteed vegetables and serve with chopped fresh tomatoes. Sprinkles with fresh Parmesan cheese.
Buying Local: I love this time of year, the tomatoes taste like...you know REAL tomatoes! Run by the local farmer's market or stop by a roadside stand and pick up some fresh tasting bright red tomatoes. Then let your kiddos pick out the other two vegetables in this dish, they really do love to pick.
Buying Organic: Tomatoes are just a given to buy organic, have you tried a taste test of a regular tomato from the grocery store and an organic one? The results alone will have you switched to organic, at least for tomatoes!
Recipe and photos courtesy Vanessa Brown www.INeverGrewUp.net