Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Tomato Soup


This is my favorite go to meal, it is my comfort food and tearing up the basil is the best part. We all argue over who is in charge of tearing up the basil so we all end up over the bowl tearing up the leaves as fast as we can.

Tomato Soup
• 1 stick of unsalted butter
• 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, chopped
• 28 ounces canned whole plum tomatoes or crushed tomatoes
• 2 1/2 cups of organic free range chicken stock
• 1 1/2 cup of cream or half and half
• 2 teaspoons sea salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• Fresh torn basil and freshly grated asiago cheese on top.

1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until onions have softened, about 15 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes, chicken stock, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook until tomatoes, onions, and garlic are soft, 10 to 20 minutes. Then add cream or half and half.
3. Working in batches, transfer soup to the jar of a blender and puree until smooth. Return to saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook until soup is heated through. If soup seems too thick, stir in some extra stock to thin. Serve immediately and top with basil and asiago cheese.
4. NOW! Be careful you don't even want to know how many times I have put too much soup into the blender...I turn it on and it explodes all over my kitchen and me. It hurts, and you would think I would not do it more than once. What can I say? Slow learner I guess.
I just buy a good multigrain artisan bread from my local grocery and a sharp cheddar cheese and make a killer grilled cheese to dip into the soup.

P.S. Warning for some reason after eating this comfort food you will also want to make chocolate chip cookies. Which I still cannot bake a good batch of, please email me if you have the winning recipe! inevergrewup@gmail.com

P.P.S. I also take chocolate chip cookie deliveries, just saying.

--
~Vanessa Brown~
Owner of www.INeverGrewUp.net

9 comments:

{natalie} said...

we use an immersion blender which solves the blow up problem....

this sounds delicious. i will have to give it a try.

Jo Dee said...

Nestle tollhouse's recipe is still the best I've found! But bake them on the low end of the time, I believe it is 8 1/2 -9 minutes and ALWAYS use milk chocolate chips!!!

bockychoy said...

I'm with Jo Dee on the Tollhouse recipe and the shorter baking time! We make a batch of dough every week and keep it in the fridge so that we can bake just a few at a time. To accommodate the changes to the dough because of the refrigeration, we add another 1/4 of flour to the recipe. Makes all the difference!

Erin said...

i just made these last night...amazing. absolutely amazing. and you could totally just leave out the pillow part of it http://www.bakerella.com/pillow-cookies/

Nicole Braden said...

I have the best, I mean the best chocolate chip cookie recipe in the world!!!!!! I had to work really hard to get it from my friend! I will ask permission before I share it and then I will email it to you! They are the best you will ever have.....I promise!

Julie said...

I can't get tomato soup out of my head lately and this sounds perfect. Bookmarking!

Julie said...

Instead of using "organic, free-range chicken stock" it would be better to use vegetable stock. It's cheaper and you really can't taste the difference once the soup is finished.
Plus, it's kinder on the animals, too. :)

vanessa said...

Oh yes Julie it would have been and I actually meant to change it to that for Nie since she does does vegetarian, sorry about that Nie!

Thanks for the choc chip recipe suggestions!

April said...

This is by far the BEST homemade tomato soup I've ever had. I'm going to make it again tonight. It's funny, because right after we ate it the first time (with yummy grilled cheese on the side) my oldest daughter said, "I want some chocolate chip cookies." It was perfect.

Ditto on the immersion blender.