Friday, June 4, 2010

Whole Grain Yogurt Waffles


Whole Grain Yogurt Waffles

Because really what could be better that waking up on the weekend and filling your belly with warm waffles?


Ingredients:

3/4 cup of a whole grains mix (If you cannot find this in your local market, it's ok, just substitute it with whole wheat flour)

1/2 cup of whole wheat flour

1/2 cup rolled oats

1/4 cup of GROUND Flax Seeds

1 tsp of salt

1 1/2 tsp of baking powder

1 1/2 tsp of baking soda

1/3 cup of brown sugar

4 T. melted butter (cooled a bit after melting)

3 large eggs

1 3/4 cups plain yogurt, click here for homemade recipe.

Directions:

1. Whisk together all dry ingredients in one bowl. In another bowl whisk together butter, eggs and yogurt until smooth. Mix two mixtures together.
2. Cook on the waffle iron and serve with honey or maple syrup.



Getting Kids to Eat Healthy: Kids love choices, my kids aren't always happy to eat all the healthy things I make them BUT when I give them choices it makes a world of difference. Choices of different honey to choose from, letting them pick what kind of berries to top the waffle with or even what plate to eat it on.

Flax Seeds: I felt so silly the day that a nutrition expert told me that all the flax seed I thought I was so lovingly putting in our food was doing no good. Flax seed has to be GROUND to actually be digested, you can buy it ground so now I do!
--
Recipe and photos courtesy Vanessa Brown www.INeverGrewUp.net and www.UtahsNaturalKids.com

8 comments:

Kytsmom said...

I did not know that about flax seed. good to know! thanks!

Kalli Ko said...

Vanessa, these look terrif.

So can you tell my husband that they taste that way too? k thanks

Nikki said...

I now regret getting rid of the waffle iron in the yard sale...

Le Chateau des fleurs said...

This is very healthy! Thank you!
Get better Nienie. Praying for you!
XOXO
Frenchy

Rebecca said...

Made these two days ago for my family. Everyone loved them from hubby down to my 2 year old. Thanks!

CapireKate said...

Thanks Vanessa!

I make waffles just about every other Sunday in our house and I would love to try this receipe.

Best Wishes,
Kate
from NJ

The Mecham Family said...

Made these saturday morning and my hubby LOVED them!!!! As did my kids. But my husband is the hard one to please. These will now be my staple waffles. THANK YOU!

Anonymous said...

We buy regular whole flax seed and put a few tablespoons into a cheap-o coffee grinder so it's ground fresh every time! Plus, I bet your kids would love grinding it up! :)