Monday, July 19, 2010

Black Bean Burger Recipe with Cilantro-Lime Mayo



Stephanie, your courage and kindness are inspiring. I am sending you many healing thoughts.

In my early twenties, I worked in a restaurant that, while sporting a fair share of meat and seafood dishes on the menu, was staffed by a pack of vegetarians. Not that they actually travel in packs, but they all seemed to congregate in this restaurant. I was one of the lone meat eaters and felt like a mink-wearing socialite at a PETA meeting. Aside from the typical array of salads, the only vegetarian option on the menu was the veggie burger. My experience, to that point, with veggie burgers was one unfortunate meeting with the dense, chewy frisbees of flavorless protein that were first introduced into the mainstream market. After much coercion by my plant-eating friends, I bit the proverbial bullet and ordered the restaurant’s veggie burgers. Black beans, rice, herbs, and spices had me hooked. While I may not have revoked my meat-lovers’ membership, I can say that I am content to work at least one vegetarian meal onto our menu each week. I’ve come a long way, baby.

Burgers:

In the bowl of a food processor, pulse 4 slices stale or toasted whole wheat sandwich bread to form breadcrumbs. Pour into a bowl and set aside.

Heat 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add 1 medium onion, chopped, and saut̩ until soft. Add 2 cloves garlic, minced, 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno pepper (membranes and seeds removed Рunless you like more heat), and 1 teaspoon ground cumin. Saute for additional 2 minutes.



Scrape the mixture into the food processor. Add 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed, 1 ¼ cups cooked brown rice, 2 teaspoon fresh lime juice, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, and ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Pulse until the beans are chopped, but not pureed.

Scrape the black bean mixture into a large bowl. Add ½ of the breadcrumbs and ¼ cup chopped cilantro. Using a wooden spoon, stir the mixture until combined.




Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and form into patties. If the mixture is too moist to form patties, add more breadcrumbs. Place the patties on a baking sheet lined with plastic wrap and cover with additional plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour.




Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a large skillet (preferably not nonstick, so a good crust can form) set over medium heat. Add the burgers and cook for 4 minutes per side.

Cilantro-Lime Mayo

In a small bowl, combine ½ cup mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice, ½ teaspoon ground cumin, 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro, and ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Stir well.

Lightly toast 4 whole wheat buns. Spread 2 tablespoons cilantro-lime mayo on each bun, and top each with a black bean patty, 2 tablespoons crumbled cotija cheese (found in most supermarkets), 1 slice large tomato, and 3 slices avocado. Serve.



Printable recipe (the link for the printable recipe is http://sites.google.com/site/cookincanucksprintablerecipes/black-bean-burgers-with-lime-cilantro-mayo)

Dara can be found cooking up an array of meat and vegetarian dishes at Cookin’ Canuck.

36 comments:

Crystal said...

Oh man, this looks awesome! It is on the menu for this week!

Anonymous said...

yum!!!!

Magic of Spice said...

This is a great guest post...and that burger is just delightful:) Stephanie all the best to you and your family:)

DessertForTwo said...

I have been searching for a bean burger recipe for ages! I'm not a vegetarian either, but I am a huge bean lover. Thanks so much! Can't wait to try this :)

Your story is inspiring Stephanie <3

Genevieve said...

drool.

Best Wishes, Marie said...

this is so nice as an alternative to serving veggie burgers to our veg friends.

i agree with the other comments, that the guest posts have been great. nice to keep the blog up and running as nienie heals.

she inspires me, and helps me keep things in perspective.

thanks !!

giveaway williams sonoma grilling book. http://bestwishesmarie.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2010-07-15T02%3A01%3A00-07%3A00&max-results=3

Magda said...

Looks very yummy, I love all kinds of veggie burgers.

Cookin' Canuck said...

First of all, thanks so much to Stephanie for asking me to post on her wonderful blog. You truly are an inspiration in every way.

Thanks to all of you for your kind comments. This burger stole my family's meat-eating hearts and it has become a regular in our dinner rotation.

Aggie said...

looks delicious! have it bookmarked! great post!

Emily Malloy (Ziegler) said...

Love, love, love!

I was thinking of making mahi mahi tonight, but I think I have been converted!! :o)

marla@familyfreshcooking.com said...

Best of luck to you in your upcoming surgery. We will all support you on your journey.
Dara is an excellent cook & recipe developer. She is a perfect fit with your blog.
These veggie burgers look wonderful. xo

Kristen said...

I can see how these burgers would convince even the most Neanderthal meat eater to try them. They look delicious! That mayo sounds so versatile. I can see it on chicken or a burger or even in one of those 7 layer taco dips. YUM!

cortnieb said...

Oh my gosh!!! I cannot wait to make these!! I have been a vegetarian for 4 years now and really don't venture out in the cooking area AT ALL!! I just pretty much stick to salads and mexican food minus the meats for myself (my husband still eats meat) But he loves my veg lifestyle and I KNOW he'll love these!! THANKS for this and THANKS Nie for these AMAZING recipes, I am super excited to introduce my kids to some fun new foods!!

Trudy ~ veggie num num said...

Oh yum! Oh yum! Oh yum! from a certified veggie burger lover this sounds so good and I can't wait to try it at home!!

Cookin' Canuck said...

Thanks for all of your comments. I'm so glad that so many find this black bean burger as enticing as I do.

Cortnieb, there are lots of great vegetarian blogs out there, packed with great recipes. Check out a few of my favorites, such as Veggie Num Num (see Trudy's profile above), Herbivoracious & Gluten-Free Goddess (mostly vegetarian). If I may be so bold, I also have a vegetarian entree list on my blog. Here's the link:
http://cookincanuck.blogspot.com/2009/04/vegetarian-dishes.html

Barbara Bakes said...

I've never tried a black bean burger, but this one sounds fabulous!

Jason Phelps said...

Great recipe.

Positive story. Stephanie and family, be well. Here's to more happy days!

Jason

Laura Lynn said...

I love a good black bean burger. I will definitely try this one! And any dressing with cilantro is a keeper.

Stephanie - I collect paint by numbers too. They are a fun thing to collect but I find they are getting harder to find. sad face.

Fuji Mama said...

Great guest post! I love a good black bean burger, and will definitely be trying this one out. Dara's recipes have never failed me yet!

Nicole Braden said...

This sounds awesome!!!!!!!!!! I am definitely making this....next week! I have switched to a vegetarian diet and I am shedding weight and I feel great!

Barbara @ moderncomfortfood said...

Black beans and I go together like, well, mom and apple pie. I love everything about this recipe: the combination of beans, lime, garlic, and pepper flavors; the burger format; and the interesting mayo topping. This might seem a dumb question, but have you tried this on the grill? Or is the mixture perhaps too moist for that?

Lucky you to guest post on this wonderful site!

Fat Burning Furnace said...

Mixing small slices of cold butter into the ground bison goes a long way towards keeping the meat tender and juicy when you grill it.
Even with the butter it's still relatively lean and healthy.

Lorena said...

That looks awesome! I'm definitely going to try it!! Thanks for sharing!

Cookin' Canuck said...

Barbara, I think that the burger may be a little too delicate to grill. I would stick to the skillet, where it stays together really nicely.

Stela James said...

I am vegetarian and looking for the vegetarian food if any then pls post about i
Waiting for your next post
Thanks ....
home business

s a r a h said...

Dear Nie,
Another yummy recipe!
I wrote a little love note to you on my site:http://www.joyfullygray.com/2010/08/letter-to-nienie.html

I hope you don't find it odd, but I just love your joyous take on life and wanted to put it out there.

Blessings,
Sarah

Anonymous said...

I would find a love note odd...When will there be a new recipe?

Shane and Jill said...

This burger was amazing! I made it a couple of nights ago and wanted a second one. Super filling and even impressed my father in law who is a definite carnivore. Thanks again!

Brandon and Sarah said...

I just finished making and eating this recipe and it was DELICIOUS! I am completely sold, as is my hubby and one year old. This will definitely be in our meal plan from now on!

JACLYN said...

I'm going to have to try this one, it looks so good!!!

Matt and Kelli said...

Oh this was so delicious! My husband doesn't think it's dinner if it doesn't include meat, but this convinced him otherwise! It was so yummy and so filling. Thanks for sharing.

Cyndi said...

I made this recipe and loved it so much, I made it again within the same week. Thanks for sharing!

erin j bailey said...

Made these just last night and mmmm...they are super yummy. We are in the midst of trying to eat better and recipes like these make it easy. Thanks!

sara said...

oh, YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM!!!!!!

Jill Wilson said...

Oh my goodness!! I made this last night and it was heaven. Had to go ahead and make it again today!! :) Thanks for the awesome recipe!! It will definitely be tucked under one of our family favorites.

Michelle said...

These look sooooo good! I love working veg meals into our life, but often find that veggie burgers (store bought or recipes) call for wheat and my son and I are allergic! Going to give this a try this week....the cilantro lime mayo sounds divine!